As an entrepreneur from West Michigan, I share my thoughts about entrepreneurship, startups, technology, and marketing.
Mar 3, 2009  |   Gadgets  |   21 Comments

EVDO working on Blackberry Storm on Alltel

For more information about activating a Blackberry Storm on Alltel, read this post detailing how to activate the Storm step by step. This guide for fixing EVDO is adapted from Labphoto’s comments on my original post.

1. Locate and install a copy of QPST 2.7 Build 301.

2. Open Blackberry Desktop Manager 4.7

3. Open QPST. You will need to add the COM4 and COM5 ports. Once this is done, you should see a connection on either COM4 or COM5 with your storm.

4. In QPST, start the client service programming.

5. Click the button to read the phone’s contents.

6. Click on the “PPP Config” tab.

7. Open the “AN” tab.

8. Locate the password field and fill it in with the ESN number of your phone. You can get this from the main QPST screen. Make sure to capitalize all characters.

9. Click the button to write to the phone. The phone will reboot and once the signal comes online, you should have full 1XEV signal.

One last thing, if you are not comfortable doing these changes with QPST, THEN DO NOT DO THEM. You can screw up the phone.

21 thoughts on “EVDO working on Blackberry Storm on Alltel

1. s.daniel on said:

Where can i find the QPST 2.7 Build 301 download? Having problems finding it? Thanks

2. jimtanis on said:

My user id shows as phonenumber@@vzw3g.com . Should I change that to something different too?

3. jimtanis on said:

I get an error when I try to do this.

The box that pops up says NV Write errors

Under NV Item is says NV_UE_IMEI_I amd under Status it says NV_READONLY_S

Ideas?

Thanks Jim

4. dontenucci on said:

jimtanis…

I’m having the same error message… I’ve done it several times now… any help would be great relating to this issue…

5. dontenucci on said:

jimtanis.

update… i did this again about 3 more times… the entire process in QPST and got the error message all 3 times… however after my last time, my phone showed up on com port 2 and although i still got the error, i am now running EVDO…. so, try a few more times even with the error and maybe it’ll work for you as well.!!

6. nmdotcom on said:

yes you will get that error its still writing to the phone however there is only one part that it cannot write too and thats why you get that error also make sure you set you password to be your ESN not your MEID and your user name should be your number @alltel.bb.net and you can find ur esn up top it shows ur meid and to the left it says esn or you can go to the programming menu ##000000 and should be the pesn hex if you have immediate questions im more than happy to expedite answers via my email nmdotcom@gmail.com
    thanks

7. dcn312 on said:

THANKS SO MUCH, I added my 9530 to ALLTEL a few months ago and all that was lacking was the working EVDO. I did this and now it’s working 100 percent. GREAT write up

8. RAJ on said:

What is the advantage of having EVDO??? I have my Storm working on Alltel now and seem the have full funtionality… what will I gain with the EVDO?
    thanks and excuse my ignorance…

9. mandahlynn on said:

What if I can’t get it to show up on COM 4 or 5 and it shows up on 6 but it doesn’t seem to stick to evdo?

10. cmshore7 on said:

So have you all actually been able to get the storm to work on alltel? The local alltel store keeps telling me its impossible.

11. RACK on said:

ON CRACKBERRY MYPDA (A CRACKBERRY USER) WROTE IN A FORUM IF YOU USE QPST WHERE YOU PUT IN YOUR ESN IN THE PASSWORD FIELD OF THE AN TAB AND ENTER younumber@bb.alltel.net THAT WOULD BE YOUR TEN DIGITS OF YOUR PHONE NUMBER YOU WILL GET THE EVDO TO STICK WE ARE STILL HAVE PROBLEMS GETTING THE PRL TO NOT REVERT BACK TO “1” ON QUICK PULLS….HOPE THIS HELPS

12. RACK on said:

RAJ EVDO LOADS FOUR TIMES FASTER THAN THE STANDARD 1X YOU ARE NOT GETTING YOUR MONEYS WORTH WITHOUT IT.

13. crookedeyebob on said:

SCOTTXP is right on the money just follow his steps and it all works but know you get music when you *22801 after the first time you can use *228. I got my phone lAST WEEK FOLLOWED THE STEPS WORKED FIRST TIME. has anyone fixed the problem about reverting back to one. my prl is 30042 but everything works. try manuley change prl did not work please help

14. Pingback: Storm on Alltel Help--Please! I'm desperate! - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

15. nii5389 on said:

hi, i just moved to morocco for a study program. i have an unlocked blackberry storm that i purchased from craigslist before travelling. the phone was originally from verizon . i bought a blackberry service from a telephone company here called inwi and they asked me to change my apn but i have not been able to connect to the internet. they had me download miniopera but all my web based applications cannot connect to the internet. i do not have bes/ bis so i do not know what to do. Also my email settings gives me only the option to use bes.i think that was a result of an accidental wipe.i tried reloading the service book but only my browser was restored.
    i will deeply appreciate any help you might offer.

16. scott on said:

I was just in Italy using my unlocked Verizon branded Blackberry Storm. I purchased a pre-paid Vodafone SIM card with BlackBerry data.

In order to get it to work, first I had to wipe the APN settings (found under options >> advanced options >> tcp/ip). Then, all it took was removing the battery for a few seconds, replacing it, and powering the phone back on. After the phone powered back up, the service books began populating automatically and data worked fine. I’m not sure if this will work on inwi, but it worked great with Vodafone IT.

17. nii5389 on said:

thanks scott, i tried it but it just wouldnt work. it keeps telling me that it cannot find the requested server. its so fustrating because it happens to be that they don’t have a technical team that works on blackberries since all of theirs are preconfigured. i really don’t know what else to do. thanks anyway.